I probably have Swine Flu.
M is sad so she’s coming to see me.
walk to Castle Island with icy beverages and sit on the beach
drink beer with my weird and hilarious houseguests, and also Tom’s dad
spend money irresponsibly
sit and be quiet
go to a fancy restaurant
eat Burger King for every meal
go to bed at 9:30
go to bed at 4am
do whatever she wants
do nothing at all
What do you do when you’re feeling frowny?
Last night: a picnic on the roof deck. Grilled veg over rice, fruit and cheese, strawberry lemonade with a little bit of a spike. Higher temps.
Today: Bacon egg and cheeses, the Ranger game at H&J’s, a 750 piece puzzle, more roof-deck lounging. Pandora’s James Taylor station.
Right now: Thunderstorms rolling in. Notebook writing. Getting ready for the week.
How was your weekend?
First of all, why I blew it: Turns out A is allergic to cinnamon. WHOOPS. Thought that counts, right?
Five good things!
1. I’m typing this while sitting on the roof deck of the apartment in a t-shirt, because it’s nine-thirty and already seventy degrees. Hi, elbows and knees. I have missed you.
2. Soy milk is not disgusting at all if you put it in coffee with some Splenda thrown in there.
3. Tom’s sister K is here! I’ve known her since she was fifteen and she continues to be the nicest person on the planet. PLUS she is moving here in the fall.
4. This morning Frankie was whining and barking like a loser so Tom let him come cuddle in bed, and Frankie totally behaved himself. In fact, I think they might still be in there, spooning.
5. From where I am sitting right at this very moment, I can see the city and smell the ocean. It is not a bad place, the place where I live.
Our friend A took a nasty spill outside of work on Monday and wound up with eight staples in her pretty head. Since I am neither a doctor nor a maker of helmets, I whipped her up some cinnamon raisin bread instead. From Allrecipes:
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105 degrees to 115 degrees)
- 2 cups warm milk (110 to 115 degrees F)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, 1/3 cup sugar, oil, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add raisins and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours. Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, divide in half. Roll each into a 15-in. x 7-in. rectangle. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over dough. Sprinkle with water. Starting with a short side, roll up tightly, jelly-roll style. Pinch seams and ends to seal. Place, seam side down, in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
This actually rose beautifully, which I was not expecting because my bread never rises beautifully, even when I make Ina’s version which uses 2 yeast packets. If I had it to do over again I would add more cinnamon to the actual dough, and also probably put some butter in the cinnamon sugar filling.
Other Friday randomness:
Craigslist Killer: HEY STOP KILLING HOOKERS. They have enough problems already.
We’re dogsitting Frankie this weekend! Expect lots of slobbery photos. Also, some work-in-progress pics of the roof deck. Last night Tom blasted the rust off the steps with a special rust blaster. You’re very manly, Tom!
Is it nerdy to like OneRepublic? I think it is. Oh well. There basically is no band I like that is not nerdy, so.
I am planning a lot of trips. Want to hang out this summer? Give me a holler.
Agent rejection count: 4.
Tonight I’m going to open every window in my apartment.
I have had two large cups off coffee. Coffee makes me chatty. I’ll stop now. Have a good Friday.
The photo of the delicious smoothie I took in my kitchen at nine o’clock last night.
Here’s what wasn’t gross at all: the smoothie itself.
One banana plus one giant handful of (slightly overripe) strawberries plus one container strawberry Light and Fit yogurt plus a splash of orange juice plus roughly two cups of ice equals: fruit smoothie heaven.
Already I can tell I’m going to be making these bad boys all summer.
fighting my way onto the bus at 7am
beers and burritos at the South Street Seaport
long walks and girl talk
beet salad at DelMonico
Guys and Dolls with Lauren Graham
ER in my sister’s dorm room
tulips in the park
grocery shopping with my Dad
the 42nd Street shuttle
a truly glamorous spring scarf
endless cups of coffee
Brothers and Sisters and M&Ms with Sierra
“This is how I feel when I see pictures of Taylor Hanson with his children.”
a long lounge on the couch
lunch at Pershing Square and a ride on the Metro North
KFC (in our defense, we tried the grilled kind) and Idol with my mama
writing in a notebook at the kitchen table
Tom buying me a fifty-cent iced coffee
…….and home in the car with my boy.